Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Google executive guilty of “manterruption”

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Mar 2015, 08:31 AM Agree 0
A Google executive seemingly contradicted the company’s mission to encourage women to pursue careers in technology when he publicly “manterrupted” a co-speaker at an industry event recently.
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Mar 2015, 10:48 AM Agree 0
    I love these terms: mansplaining, bropropriating, and manterupting. It happenes all the time and is very annoying, disrespectful, not to mention deflating. Most of the time these behaviours are subconscious but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be called out and changed.
  • HR Dude | 18 Mar 2015, 11:39 AM Agree 0
    Talk about airing your dirty linen in public. Is a really hard thing to look at this behaviour without being able to compare it to how Schmidt communicates with his other colleagues.

It can be necessary to interrupt someone you're interviewing if they go off topic, or stray into an area for personal gain (spruiking products/ projects).

Regardless, if we assume that there was unconscious bias that caused him to cut off the speaker, then challenging him in a public forum like that is unlikely to cause a change in behaviour.
  • Tristan Amadio | 18 Mar 2015, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    I do not think that bad manners is a gender-based trait. Why assign a sexism label to something that is just decorum (or lack of), which I'm sure happens to all professionals, regardless of gender.

Sorry if I've "sisterrupted".
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Mar 2015, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    Yep quite right Tristan bad manners is not a gender-based trait, its a learned behaviour.
  • HR Dude | 18 Mar 2015, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    Sexism isn't a gender-based trait either, it too is a learned behaviour.

If we believe Williams when she said she was interrupted and not listened to during meeting then there does seem to be something going on.

As an important note, these unconscious biases that lead to changed behaviour based on gender are very hard to identify. It could be the difference in describing a comment as a 'bitch' rather than 'complaint' or 'emotional' rather than 'hurried'. They are subversive in that they are hard to pin down, but can overtime reduce someone's self esteem.

Final note, this behaviour isn't limited to males. Female in the workplace can adopt negative biases about other females which can make it harder to identify. It's wrong to assume that a female will be able to identify these things purely because of her gender.
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Mar 2015, 01:27 PM Agree 0
    Yes HR dude it is absolutely true that women sometimes engage in sexist behaviour although it must be said that
    these instances usually support the patriarchal mindset which is the basis of every society and permeates the brain of every single citizen. Its not only males that need to get this rubbish out of their heads, but it is males that reap the most benefit from such a mindset.
  • HR Dude | 18 Mar 2015, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    I totally agree Amanda. Its a very difficult area to work in, and of course it might not be just about improving gender in the workplace. If an incident or complaint comes in, we need to take into account that just because another member of the team happens to be female doesn't mean she's going to be able to identify these sexist behaviours.
  • Really? | 18 Mar 2015, 02:01 PM Agree 0
    Has anyone actually met Schmidt to put it into context? Schmidt interupts everyone, he has an opinion on everything. Why on earth has this turned into a gender issue? Even if the presenter is a man presenting on gender issues or whatever, Schmidt will do the same thing.
  • Pat | 18 Mar 2015, 03:01 PM Agree 0
    I think this article miss – interprets the situation and quite frankly mrs the point that all these things are not gender based behaviours. Just bad behaviours. It’s all too easy to attach gender based titles to words and make them gender based issues. I think some of the views expressed may be girllusional and those expressing them have no mandate.
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Mar 2015, 03:13 PM Agree 0
    Yes it is bad behaviour and both sexes are capable of exhibiting poor manners. BUT!! There is absolutely no doubt (and research proves it) that men interupt women more than they interupt their male counterparts. Evidence shows men talk more than women although men believe that isnt true. Men feel like they have to 'explain' what a woman says because its sooooo 'out there' that no-one will ever geddit unless he splains it to them. And I have witnessed many times when a woman makes a suggestion (which no male at the meeting acknowledges) and then some guy presents it as this new wiz bang idea, and lo and behold an angel slowly descends from the parting clouds and delivers a blessing while heavenly music plays softly in the background.
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Mar 2015, 03:14 PM Agree 0
    Oh and Pat your comments were very witty...
  • uh huh | 19 Mar 2015, 01:55 AM Agree 0
    I don't care what they are named, I've experienced these activities and the only way to make subconscious reactions conscious is to call them out. This is why I like communicating in emails. As soon as I pitch something in a meeting regardless of how it was taken, I try to follow up with an email further explaining the idea. Then if it is "Bro-propriated" or a female claims it later, I resend out my orignal email to everyone with the timestamp of when I initially addressed the issue.
  • Katrina | 19 Mar 2015, 09:39 AM Agree 0
    Interesting article, and happy to see this issue being brought out into the light of day. Often during company meetings a point I have raised again and again is not listened to until the same words come out of the mouth of someone with a deep voice. Just because my voice is higher pitched and perhaps softer, does not give you the right to talk over the top of me, men!
  • Amanda Rochford | 19 Mar 2015, 09:59 AM Agree 0
    Why are so many men willing to brush aside the personal experiences of so many women?
  • Jess | 19 Mar 2015, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    If women and men are ever to truly become equals, lets stop labelling things in a sexist way!
    Saying Mr Schmidt 'manterrupted' is as bad as telling Ms Williams to get back in the kitchen.
    I don't agree with the actions of either party. Ms Smith could have 'sisterrupted' (love it Tristan Amadio) and told Mr Schmidt it wasn't appropriate. Call out this behaviour - from any sex - when it happens!
  • Paul | 19 Mar 2015, 02:12 PM Agree 0
    Good one Jess. You have my respect straight away. OMG Katrina your a singer arnt you. I knew it!!!

As for as Google airing it all in public - it sort of makes sense as all we have heard in the last 3 years is how:
    Google is ground breaking,
    Google HR leads super innovative strategies,
    Google culture is like no other,
    Google is the No1 place to work,
    Google receives on average 12000 applications for every vacancy advertised,
    We are all super happy working at Google,
    Get a life get employed by Google...that is if you are lucky enough.

So really if we hear all this publicity about how something is so perfect - its just a matter of time before the truth begins to surface!!!
  • Gridlock | 19 Mar 2015, 02:50 PM Agree 0
    So any interruption by a male is going to be called, "Mansplaining"?

Wow. Good reason to NEVER AGAIN employ a woman and also a great reason to NEVER AGAIN tolerate a woman to discuss any issue in public. "Mansplaining" is a sexist, rude, "Shutupword" to be used by manipulating arrogant douchebags.

GOOGLE has made a horrible mistake by tolerating any woman in their working environment. Megan Smith has proven that she has no purpose in the technological field by her "Mansplaining" abusive rude comment and she should be fired immediately without severance pay. What a disgustingly rude woman and an intolerant person who cannot accept simple polite conversational rules.
  • HW | 19 Mar 2015, 08:59 PM Agree 0
    I have seen this so often - some people who get the 'C-Suite' get infected by this bug that has them believing and acting as if they are more important than anyone else. Isolation can sometimes work as a cure. In other cases the sufferer may simply have to be culled before they infect others in the team. Women are not immune, either. 'Manterruption' and 'Sisterruption' can occur in both populations, in more or less direct relation to the degree of exposure to the C-Suite atmosphere. A dose of Reality Therapy may help, but all employees need to be constantly watchful for symptoms.

A useful diagnostic test is as follows: never give power to someone who really wants it.
  • HW | 19 Mar 2015, 09:09 PM Agree 0
    Amanda - the personal experience of women is easily 'brushed aside' (and their comments and suggestions 'bropropriated' !) because women don't matter.

And because those men (and some women, be it said) who take that view are not abandoned on the mountainside at birth (metapahorically speaking...).
  • Pat | 20 Mar 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
    Gridlock. you sound quite mannoyed... mangry even. It's hard to tell which mangle you're coming from. Whether you are being serious or just bloking around. I'm not sure how "mansplaining" is rude but "manipulating arrogant douchebags" is not.
  • Amanda Rochford | 20 Mar 2015, 09:24 AM Agree 0
    simple polite conversational rules = men exhibiting any rude behaviour they like over manipulative arrogant douchebags aka women.
  • Jeff | 27 Aug 2015, 11:38 AM Agree 0
    Calm down everybody.
Post a reply