Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Going it alone: The pros and cons of consulting

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 19 Aug 2014, 10:40 AM Agree 0
Many HR professionals consider consultancy as a career path, but what are the nuts and bolts, and the pros and cons, of setting out on your own?
  • Kip | 19 Aug 2014, 12:34 PM Agree 0
    One thing to keep in mind is that when you are working, you are not doing any business development and when you are doing BD, you aren't working (and you are not getting paid!).
  • HC | 19 Aug 2014, 04:09 PM Agree 0
    The challenge is all the non-billable hours that is required to prep for, or support your billable hours. I very much enjoyed my time consulting. I am a 'problem solver' and consulting is perfect for that skill base. Unfortunately, I also like some certainty which is why I returned to in-house HR for the last 4 years (but it may be time to attempt that challenge again soon!)
  • Natasha Hawker | 20 Aug 2014, 01:55 PM Agree 0
    I started Employee Matters 2.5 years ago with my husband and I have to say that my time as a recruitment consultant in the early 1990's was critical,as I had to 'cold call' again. Being able to develop business and build extensive networks are very important to consultants and the need for this skill can't be under estimated.
Post a reply