Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Going in blind: The way forward for interviews?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 Aug 2014, 10:04 AM Agree 0
Two law firms have started conducting CV-blind interviews, where all the interviewers know about the candidates is their names. Could this approach help stamp out unconscious bias?
  • Yvonne Walker | 11 Aug 2014, 11:18 AM Agree 0
    If you are truly interested in "going in blind" then even the names should not be known. A candidate's sex is usually obvious from their name and their broad racial origin often is as well. Personally I support the concept but doing it in a way that is anything but completely anonymous is not removing unconscious bias.
  • Tristan Amadio | 11 Aug 2014, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    While it's a novel idea in terms of diversity, it seems to contradict the most recent recruitment methodology of Behavioural-Based Interviewing, where the whole point of interviews is to determine future actions by analysis of the past and to verify the contents of a CV. To move to hypothetical interview questions (which BBI actively discourages) seems to be a step backwards.
  • MM | 11 Aug 2014, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    And what's to stop the bias happening at the recruitment team level when they choose which candidates make it through to interview?
  • Mark | 12 Aug 2014, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    I like to know their previous work history because past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour. I suggest Macfarlanes is trying to be "innovative" but instead are just being a bit naive.
Post a reply