Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Gen Y to the haters: We don’t like you either

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Oct 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Generation Y make up a third of the workplace, and they are the most maligned demographic – but the generation conflict isn’t one-directional.
  • Alice M | 29 Oct 2013, 03:13 PM Agree 0
    It's nice to see something that works both ways for once - thank you.
  • Grant | 29 Oct 2013, 04:04 PM Agree 0
    This is a fascinating article and I am not entirely surprised that generational difference can produce complications. I note that the solutions offered are specifically targeted at Gen Ys however given that Gen Xs and Babay Boomers are likewise struggling to handle the generational differences, it would have been nice to proffer solutions for each of the generations.
  • Deborah | 29 Oct 2013, 04:55 PM Agree 0
    Great. Yet another article telling Gen X and Baby Boomers what they need to do for Gen Y. How about an article telling Gen Y what they need to do for Gen X & Baby Boomers? A good start would be to stop with the "I'm so entitled" attitude and put in a solid days work without expecting a gold star and validation for turning up to work on time.

It's great the Gen Y want/expect more of a work/life balance, but having worked with Gen Y, it sure seems to be more "life" than "work" balance that they're expecting - and at top dollar too.
  • Shelley | 30 Oct 2013, 09:57 AM Agree 0
    Well said Deborah!!
  • Tracey | 30 Oct 2013, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    Agree Deborah! My experience is Gen Y wanting more for less.
  • Ann-Marie | 30 Oct 2013, 05:06 PM Agree 0
    I don't like to stereotype, as I think each generation brings something valuable to the workforce, and not everyone fits the perceived stereotype.
    That said, Deborah, your comment made me laugh as I have experienced this first hand .... "yes, I am a great manager and I am going to lead this organisation to be at the top of it's game .... ooooh it's 30 degrees tomorrow, I think I'll take the day off and head to the beach"
  • Siobhan | 31 Oct 2013, 03:31 PM Agree 0
    I find generational stereotyping so annoying. People are people, you get "good" and "bad" Boomers, X and Y workers. I think it's more to do with life choices, rather than the year you were born in. So there are some boomers who haven't married or had kids who have always worked just to live and there are Gen Y's who have got mortgages and responsibility now, who want job security and financial rewards and they are prepared to conform to the corporate norms for this. Stop putting people into generation boxes and treat them as individuals!
  • M | 31 Oct 2013, 05:02 PM Agree 0
    I agree with you Siobhan!
    Even in this comments section people are Gen Y bashing.
    I love this Socrates quote:
    “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

I think it shows that no matter what decade or even century we are in, everybody is always going to say something negative about the youth. I'm sure people who were 40-50 yrs old in the 1970's had some judgemental things to say about the hippy, lazy, free loving youth of the time no doubt.
Post a reply