Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Gay women are higher earners – but employers still "biased against gay men"

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Jan 2015, 10:06 AM Agree 0
A new study has revealed that gay women are statistically higher earners than their straight female colleagues, but gay men are more likely to earn less than heterosexual male workers.
  • Tony | 14 Jan 2015, 11:30 AM Agree 0
    Thanks for sharing this story - interesting study on a topic that isn't easy to research.

Just to clarify though, the report headline isn't accurate for the Australian market. The report actually stated that in Australia, Gay women earned 28% less than their female heterosexual counterparts (the opposite to the worldwide finding).

Also, at the risk of sound pedantic, the source report adoesn't use the outdated terms of 'lifestyle choices' or 'homosexual' - these aren't appropriate terms to use when talking about LGBTI inclusion.
  • Bek | 15 Jan 2015, 11:51 AM Agree 0
    I agree with the use of the outdated terms. However, in this case I don't think they meant being gay is a 'lifestyle choice' (!) Instead, I think they meant people who are gay may tend to make different career and lifestyle choices (when compared to the larger population) which could have an effect on the results. Eg- May be less likely to have children which could impact earning potential.

Thank you for sharing the results in an Australian context though! This is very interesting. Is there any reason given for our apparent difference vs the rest of the world?
  • Rex | 16 Jan 2015, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    Just a comment from the left field - if employers are not permitted to ask a person's sexual orientation,, why would there be the need to be "rainbow ticked"? In reality, the topic should not even arise.
Post a reply