Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Four steps to addressing unconscious bias

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 01 Oct 2013, 12:04 AM Agree 0
Perhaps the most enduring hurdle preventing a truly diverse workplace is the persistent problem of unconscious bias. How can HR work towards overcoming this?
  • Dr Grant Robertson | 01 Oct 2013, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    One wonders why there is still such a focus on unconscious bias as the 'main feature' in diversity challenges when, although it has been a key focus for almost the same decade, little progress has been made? While it is undoubtedly an important consideration, organisations will likely move ahead much more quickly if they focused on building and nurturing inclusive cultures.

Another reason for doubting its apparent status as a 'magic pill' or 'silver bullet' is the admission by one of the originators of the concept (implicit bias), Dr Anthony Greenwald, that “caution is warranted in speculating that repeated interventions…will have enduring effects on levels of implicit bias.” Other researchers found that “[ordinary] diversity training…designed to alter attitudes and behaviour [is] generally ineffective and, in some circumstances, counterproductive.”

One cannot simply do more of what's been done before and hope for different outcomes! A fresh perspective is required.
  • Powell | 27 Nov 2014, 05:26 AM Agree 0
    Good info. Lucky me I recently found your site by accident (stumbleupon). I have book-marked it for later!
  • Amanda Rochford | 27 Nov 2014, 02:30 PM Agree 0
    We seem to have difficulty getting a balance between male and female let alone anything else. Age, race, socio economic status, disability, education, sexual preference are all symptoms of the same illness. Any variance in these areas provides a different point of view that is highly valuable. So instead of questioning whether 'someone with that background or characteristic ie a tatoo' is suitable to place in a client service role perhaps we could ask ourselves 'what broader perspective would a person with that background or characteristic (a tatoo) bring to the role?' Its all about the questions you ask yourself.
  • Estee | 28 Aug 2015, 06:32 PM Agree 0
    Gender targets, not quotas
Post a reply