Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

For what it’s worth: the employee engagement survey

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 25 Feb 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Some HR experts are beginning to question the real value of employee engagement surveys, but do they risk throwing the baby out with the bath water?
  • Dr Tim Baker | 25 Feb 2013, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    I agree with much of the points raised in this article.

Any survey is only as good as the follow-up done. oo often organisations spend sizable sums of money on the administering of the survey and very little is done with the data.

I also agree that qualitative data gives a more indepth view of what people are thinking and needs to be conducted too.
  • Alex Mills | 25 Feb 2013, 04:08 PM Agree 0
    We recently conducted a free employee engagement survey using the Survey Monkey tool and the feedback has been invaluable and not of a lesser quality than when we were paying for a much more sophisticated and longer tool.
  • Garry Pearce | 25 Feb 2013, 04:23 PM Agree 0
    We investigated external survey costs and ended up running it in-house (anonymously)with good take up results. The article is correct in that this is only one measure of engagement.
  • Danny Nelms | 28 Feb 2013, 05:49 AM Agree 0
    I agree with the necessity to include qualitative data. The issue is how we should collect that qualitative data. We talk about anonymity being critical in the survey process, but then see to get qualitative data in an "open forum". You have to give people the opportunity to describe why the rate items they way they do, in fact you have to insist on it. It is called mixed methodology and it is the best way to compensate for the flaws in only quantitative or only qualitative data gathering.
  • Danny Nelms | 28 Feb 2013, 05:50 AM Agree 0
    I agree with the necessity to include qualitative data. The issue is how we should collect that qualitative data. We talk about anonymity being critical in the survey process, but then see to get qualitative data in an "open forum". You have to give people the opportunity to describe why the rate items they way they do, in fact you have to insist on it. It is called mixed methodology and it is the best way to compensate for the flaws in only quantitative or only qualitative data gathering.
  • Ken Scarlett - President - Scarlett Surveys | 26 Apr 2013, 04:09 AM Agree 0
    Most employee "engagement" surveys are a net negative value. They measure the wrong things and get top management chasing the wrong priorities that do not have a lasting effect on employee attitudes, unity of effort or motivation to work. Unnecessary employee feedback meetings just add to the negative value. Bona fide employee engagement measurement is comprised of 15 drivers, not 12 Utopian questions or questions by committeee. Our experience over 50 years conducting over 15 million surveys is that if you measure the right drivers, compare result metrics against global empirical critical ranges, hold leaders accountable for action planning and improvement, correlate engagement drivers and indexes to KPI's then the organization is able to achieve continuous business success. Engagement survey metrics and management become workforce science that drives performance instead of a "junk science" communication activity.
    See our white papers at www.Scarlettsurveys.com; "What is Employee Engagement?"
Post a reply