Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Flexible work options for over 45s: Time to legislate?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 21 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The review of the Fair Work Act continues to provoke hot debate and the latest submission shines the spotlight on legislating flexible work options for workers over 45.
  • Heidi Holmes | 22 Jun 2012, 10:23 AM Agree 0
    From my experience older workers just want an opportunity to be considered fairly for a role with no age bias. The average age of our jobseeker on is 51 with many still wanting full time work. While flexibility might be important for some, I think a greater challenge is finding employers wanting to actively recruit from this talent pool in the first instance.
  • Shane Higgins | 22 Jun 2012, 07:56 PM Agree 0
    As the only national job board in Australia that has jobs specifically lodged by employers seeking older workers I can assure you that flexiblility is not a key concern of our 17,500 plus jobseekers over the age of 45. Recent research indicates that in fact older workers are in fact the most flexible workers, and jobseekers the most undemanding. The issue isn't so much older workers wanting flexible working conditions it is more forward thinking employers thinking laterally about what will make them a preferred employer and among that mix is certainly flexible working hours. The legislation, if changed, won't make any difference, as does other legislation that can't be enforced, the issue of flexibiliy will be worked out between employee and employer.
Post a reply