Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Five tips for acing a HR job interview

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Jul 2014, 11:05 AM Agree 0
As HR professionals, conducting job interviews is our bread and butter. But being on the other side of the interview requires different skills and not everyone gets it right. HC looks at how to avoid the pitfalls.
  • Matilda | 14 Jul 2014, 09:40 AM Agree 0
    I am one good example of this. Several years in HR and have done major restuctures and undertaken many HR projects in a temporary capacity but when I am on the other side of the fence being interviewed I get very nervous and bable, its so embrassing and I just can't seem to overcome this as such I am still actively seeking a permanent HR role. I prepare for interviews very well and have my examples but every panel lool fo rdifferent things, I take the feedback received on board and prepare for the next interview but it will not be good enough. I've walked away confident at some interviews but was not successful because the panel was looking for something different than what I have given.
  • Delia | 15 Jul 2014, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    Matilda, at next interview, try interviewing them! Ask what they are particularly seeking, what attributes; then you can pitch yourself accordingly. My sister did this; and then said that she didn't think she was what they needed; her skill set was more suited to other aspects of the particular occupation; and thanked them for their time. They were so impressed, not only did she get the role, they streamlined the tasks to suit her abilities. While it may not always work out that way, there is no harm in trying. Good luck.
  • Matilda | 18 Jul 2014, 01:42 PM Agree 0
    thank you will give it a go
  • Mark de Wet | 22 Jul 2014, 12:02 PM Agree 0
    You would think HR people can (and should) interview well. I have witnessed 'seasoned' HR professionals falling apart in interviews. Preparation is key as mentioned and by using the STAR technique to your advantage, it does help to demonstrate evidence of past behaviour and capability.
    Knowing your 'value proposition' and being able to articulate it effectively is a must.
    A worthwhile article providing useful tips.
Post a reply