Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

First aid: Make sure your boxes are ticked

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Mar 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Given that every workplace situation is different, it is up to HR to determine the acceptable ratio of first aid officers to employees, and they should consider a number of criteria in the risk assessment phase.
  • Kevin Jones | 14 Mar 2012, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    I think it would have been more appropriate to refer to the various OHS Codes of Practice for workplace first aid as these determine the assessment criteria to be used.
    Safe Work Australia released a draft code on workplace first aid last year for public comment.
  • Russell | 09 Apr 2012, 12:22 PM Agree 0
    I tend to find it annoying when I read articles where the references taken have been from St J or Red Cross. There are many great groups who teach first aid, several shonks as well, but then it does depend on the organisation and the instructor. Anyway back to point, The person who put forward the figures on quantity of first aiders to employees really should consider the scenario where a first aider is provided in a small workplace say 20 people, according to the above 1 first aider should be sufficient, now try to argue that with worksafe when the person injured just happens to be the first aider. The way I learnt was that you take the worst possible likely scenario and work on correcting that, if you have a staff of 20, 2 people minimum to be trained, no one stays back unless one of the first aiders is available and they concentrate on fixing the first aid facilities whilst hte other person works, that way if an accident occurs after hours you have a first aider handy and secondly it is often the only time the kits are checked properly:)
Post a reply