Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

“F***ing stupid”: “Unjust” dismissal of employee sacked for swearing

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 26 Nov 2014, 10:05 AM Agree 0
The FWC has found that a former employee of Coca-Cola Amatil was dismissed unfairly following disputes over his language and attendance.
  • Catherine Cahill | 26 Nov 2014, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    This case is interesting from the point of view of where you feel an organisation's priorities should be.

I recently used this case as an example in a WHS/Risk Management training session. I discussed this in the context of how CCA reacted to the serious safety breach committed by the person who walked behind the forklift.

Sacking the forklift driver for losing his temper with the person who could have actually been seriously injured or killed by walking behind the forklift, (on the face of it) seems to send a strong message about their attitude to safety.

I do not suggest they condone abusive language, but I would suggest that they should have placed a stronger focus on the forklift driver's genuine distress at being placed in a position of potentially injuring or killing the other person.

If I was CCA I would be making a statement about their commitment to Safety, rather than letting this case be their only message in regard to their approach to workplace breaches of policy.
  • Trent Dunn | 28 Nov 2014, 02:38 PM Agree 0
    Valid point indeed Catherine, concur absolutely.
  • Paul | 09 Dec 2014, 01:59 PM Agree 0
    Great point Catherine. Totally agree.
Post a reply