Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Figures indicate support for 457 visa crackdown

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Amid an angry backlash from the business community, the Immigration Department has said it is justified in cracking down on the 457 visa program.
  • Rosalie | 09 Apr 2013, 04:45 PM Agree 0
    I love how the goverment goes on and on about a 21% increase but doesn't state the actual numbers.

21% of 100 is only 21, 21% of 100,000 is 21,000. It's easy to skew the facts with percentages, so it would be nice to understand the real story.

And from an employer's point of view, my interest is hiring someone who actually wants to work and to do a good job. I'll hire the best person to do that, regardless of race or visa status.
  • Martin Hildebrand | 10 Apr 2013, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    Immigration Minister O'Connor's take on the 457 visa program is in stark contrast to a publication of his own Department from 3 February 2013 headlined: "457 visa program responds well to economic needs"

For details, refer to
    http://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/releases/457-visa-program-responds-well-to-economic-needs-3

It is interesting to note, that the government's recent portrayal of the 457 visa program as being widely rorted has only hit the headlines since the appointment of Mr O'Connor in early February.

A lot must have changed since Mr O'Connor's appointment to justify a 180 degree turn in the rhetoric on 457 visas.

The real agenda behind this change appears quite obvious and seems to have less to do with actual facts but a Federal election later this year.

It is disappointing to think that the government believes it can win votes by pushing this.
  • JASON KEEN | 11 May 2013, 11:58 PM Agree 0
    Its easy to work out..The 457 intake of workers on the visa program is 93,000 per year.Put it this way .Its a program not designed for declining industries EG. tourism/hospitality including cooks and also hairdressers.
Post a reply