Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Far out Friday: Is this the most inappropriate job ad ever?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 13 Mar 2015, 09:07 AM Agree 0
One UK recruitment agency is facing backlash after posting an overtly sexist picture alongside a secretary position – then defending their decision!
  • Bernie Althofer | 13 Mar 2015, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    What if a male was interested in applying for the role of secretary? Would this an appropriate ad?

Seems like a rather dumb ad to me and one that has left the organisation wide open to allegations and perceptions about how employees are viewed and treated.

The subliminal messages behind this type of ad shows how out of touch some people are.
  • Ella | 13 Mar 2015, 02:11 PM Agree 0
    A completely terrible way to celebrate International Women’s Day, shame on them. Instead of assisting to break away from the subtle sexism which happens in the workplace every day, they are actually highlighting it even more. Very disappointed and I hope they will be named and shamed even further. From a recruitment perspective from now on, I will always associate their brand with such negative connotations.
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Mar 2015, 10:51 AM Agree 0
    Yep VERY poor publicity for ICS Recruitment.

AND they let their client down.
  • Bernie Althofer | 19 Mar 2015, 11:05 AM Agree 0
    I would be interested to read the values statement of both the company that developed the above marketing approach and the company that engaged them.

It would also be interesting to read the relevant Codes of Conduct or other documents that outline expected behaviour, and then speak to managers and workers to determine their level of understanding and comprehension in relation to those documents.

It does seem from discussions I was involved in today, that there are still some people in some organisations who are still not 'getting it' in terms of understand the damage that is caused to individual and organisational reputations when specific type ads are developed. Not only are these ads damaging to the organisation paying for the ad, but also to the organisation that developed it.
  • Amanda Rochford | 19 Mar 2015, 12:46 PM Agree 0
    Its also very damaging to women! We read this stuff and see these pictures. How can we maintain any level of confidence that our work is valued, that we can contribute anything more than servicing a male and his needs. Frankly, its depressing to know that not only are these antiquated views still out there but they are spouted by men in positions of power who are paid big money to make good decisions. The person who hired this man didnt exercise good judgement, the man who came up with this idea didnt exercise good judgement, the person from the ad company who gave the go ahead had poor judgement, the client who said yes to the ad campaign used poor judgement. Sexism is rampant.
  • Marc | 08 Jan 2016, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    I cant believe that anyone in their right mind in 2015 would think this sort of ad is appropriate - even some publicity hungry attempt to make this job-ad stand out from the crowd. Its so inappropriate you dont know where to start (even though the previous commentators have tried!). I have been catching up with 'Mad Men, (I didn't see any of them previously) and this is what this ad reminds me off - 1960's Madison Ave patronising chauvinism! What seems to be worse (if thats possible) is one of the tweets from ICS (the BDM) is female - is there no hope!
    Incidentally the 2002 award winning indie movie from which the poster has been stolen for the ad is no where near as exploitative as the poster suggests. A clue here - it was 2002 ie 12 years ago. Im betting even the original movie poster wouldn't be used as publicity if the film was released in 2015. This would be deemed inappropriate FOR A MOVIE IN 2015 never mind a job ad!
  • Stamples | 08 Jan 2016, 05:50 PM Agree 0
    Wise professionals and wise executives in companies are or should be very careful about which agencies they even let represent them (reputations can get intertwined etc.), this agency (and I would find out which Agents if I were to working in the same country) would be on my 'banned-for-life' list as both a candidate and as a hiring manager.
Post a reply