Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Fair Work says no to pay on days off

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 15 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The nation's workplace watchdog has thrown out a union bid which would have seen enforced public holiday payments to employees not rostered to work.
  • serious? | 15 Apr 2013, 04:30 PM Agree 0
    Greed..Pure and simple greed. Good decision by FWC
  • Alison | 16 Apr 2013, 08:21 AM Agree 0
    Correct decision from FWC. I still can't believe the ACTU even made the claim in the first place. Surely there are more productive and practical things unions could focus on?
  • Greg Standen | 16 Apr 2013, 10:37 AM Agree 0
    Finally a decision for common sense. Small business is the life blood of our economy stop forcing red tape on them. All employees should be able to be classed as casual regardless of hours worked otherwise the largest employer in the country, small business will not exist and we will have much higher unemployment. Penalty rates are killing small business.
  • Worker | 16 Apr 2013, 11:24 PM Agree 0
    I think this is a fair claim. Consider that most public holidays fall on Monday. Now compare an employee who works Wednesday to Sunday vs the employee who works Thursday to Monday. Both get the same pay, but the Thursday to Monday employee gets 4 more days off during the year. Or put another way, the Wednesday to Sunday employee works 4 more days for the same pay. There are also some less scrupulous employers who change rosters in advance to make RDOs fall on public holidays.
Post a reply