Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Facebook ‘unfriending’ constitutes bullying, FWC rules

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 Sep 2015, 09:44 AM Agree 0
A stop-bullying order has been imposed on a Tasmanian employer after one employee removed another as a friend on Facebook.
  • toasteh | 28 Sep 2015, 11:15 AM Agree 0
    I unfriended a person because I found out she was bullying another friend behind her back. She noticed, got pissed, but she can suck eggs.
  • MM | 28 Sep 2015, 12:06 PM Agree 0
    What a misleading headline. The unfriending on facebook was just part of a long line of actions by the employer that went to prove there was bullying going on in the workplace (and was likely to continue).... Unfriending by itself without anything else would not be bullying.
  • PB | 28 Sep 2015, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    Misleading headline and article - There was a list of actions that constitutes bullying behaviour and not simply 'unfriending someone on facebook'.
  • Bernie Althofer | 28 Sep 2015, 07:07 PM Agree 0
    I saw a similar headline in another of media and was discussing the topic with some colleagues. The headline did draw attention to the article and then as it was dissected, more examples of bullying behaviour were identified.

In a similar way over the years, headlines have served to alert a reader about an issue and when the article is analysed, invariably a number of behaviours are found to have existed that lead to a complaint being made, an investigation conducted, and even a decision being made.

There would no doubt be some who read the headline in disbelief, and then formed a 'view' about the unfairness of the dismissal. Sometimes it is necessary to read an article and even go to the actual Tribunal or Commission decision to read important information that was presented by all parties, and on which a decision was made.

Unfriending on its own should not be an issue in normal circumstances. However, as the case highlighted, other factors were considered in making a decision.
  • KR | 28 Sep 2015, 10:23 PM Agree 0
    This is just click bait and I expect more from a 'reputable' HR site. At no stage did the FWC say “removing someone from Facebook is bullying”
    What they did say was that the defriending her showed Bird was feeling angry and hostile towards Roberts. The defriending wasn’t bullying – it just gave the alleged bullying some context.
  • KOD | 29 Sep 2015, 10:41 AM Agree 0
    The world has gone mad and the FWC is complicit in our ultimate demise. Small business is our biggest employer. Whether or not you believe the actions warranted the Bird's decision what is the signal, the message being sent to small business.
    We now have only the thoughts in our minds that are not subject to scrutiny and opinion.
    What is the mindset when the first action by the victim is to check social media. If this is the brave new world, give me the old one every time. Some people always have rely upon the "saviour factor". That is there is always someone else who can be responsible for me other than me. Why not resign. Get another job. What responsibility does the employ accept for what happened? What is she prepared to do to remedy it. What does anybody believe the work environment is going to be going forward at that business. It will be poison. But some external "saviour" will want to stand over those in their day to day lives and dictate, or attempt to dictate how they live.
    "Control" is the new evil and it is all around us. Freedom is on its knees.
  • aztec | 29 Sep 2015, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    Why is Facebook so important in social interactions... what happened to normal interactions between individuals.. Grow up FWC.. Do your job. Facebook is a personal service and has nothing to do with personnel in the workplace. If they have a problem take it up with Facebook. Who cares!!
  • Tim | 30 Sep 2015, 07:45 AM Agree 0
    Being a friend is a privilege not a right
  • BONNY | 30 Sep 2015, 08:06 AM Agree 0
    What a load of CRAP!!!! Talk about Social Engineering, we are all being dumbed down and treated like a bunch of morons who are unable to think for ourselves. Then again, when you have immature people who are always running to teacher when someone looks at them the wrong way what can we expect. It seems that nowadays nobody is responsible for anything and it's always someone else s fault.
  • RP | 02 Oct 2015, 09:21 AM Agree 0
    Unbelievable... my first reaction on reading this article was to laugh outright at its ridiculousness. It just reconfirmed for me that my personal policy of having nothing to do with any kind of social media is spot on. Agree with others' comments; isn't there supposed to be a degree of maturity in the workplace?? Obviously not, adults with mindset of children are in jobs... we are a sorry society indeed when the "unfriending" of someone from facebook is used as excuse for "depression " -- it makes light of all those out there who actually suffer real depression and mental illness.
Post a reply