Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Engage and retain the extraordinary personalities working with you

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 May 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Do you encourage staff to use their own personalities at work? Are they allowed to work in a way that best suits them? Andrew Warren-Nicholls explains the benefits of letting employees be who they are.
  • Willy B | 10 May 2012, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    Very insightful article Andrew. Lets hope that organisations both large and small take note of unique talents and individuality and capitalise on them. You have encouraged me to speak up and ask - what does APJ stand for?
  • Andrew WN | 10 May 2012, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    Hi Willy B, Good question, one I had to ask myself, APJ stands for Asia, Pacific and Japan!
  • Bill Garrison | 10 May 2012, 10:05 PM Agree 0
    Great article. The other aspect is to hire the right personality for the position. Business owners tend to be the A-type personality and HR people tend to be the C-types. They like to hire people they feel "comfortable" with, most like themselves and that is not always good. Each position needs a different personality to work out well for the job and the management style. Hiring the wrong personality can cause many problems and turnover.
  • Buddy Erks | 11 May 2012, 12:30 AM Agree 0
    If only more comapnies employed these thoughts and actions the work place would be better for everyone.
  • Niamh Milligan | 11 May 2012, 03:54 PM Agree 0
    Excellent article! Great read.
  • Andrew WN | 14 May 2012, 02:10 PM Agree 0
    Hi Bill, I couldn't agree more. If you have that meeting to discuss who you need and why, you are looking for the right kind of person from the start, not just as you say, someone they are comfortable with. You can do it through the DISC model to identify what the gap in the team is and profile the candidates or you can just talk it out and establish the style and attitude of the person you need. Otherwise you end up hiring someone who interviews well, who has done and similar job before. Not always a compelling hire!
  • Jenny Luu | 21 May 2012, 05:03 PM Agree 0
    Great article. It reminds me of a book I came across a recently called "GPS for your organisation" where it’s about clarity of communication in terms of your organisation's mission statement and employee engagement. It's about keeping it simple and re-enforcing your key messages so everyone is clear on and working towards the same goals. Organisations can be so complicated in this day and age.
  • dennis foster | 12 Jun 2012, 06:27 PM Agree 0
    Andrew, I like your concluding comment 'Think of everyone as being extraordinary' and treat everyone individually. You may or may not be aware that this thinking is closely aligned to the concept of Authenticity which promotes sincerity, honesty and integrity as the only values and behaviour that management should pursue. Giving honest feedback, 'warts an all' is the only way to communicate effectively and knowing yourself as others know you is the hallmark of authentic cultures. Since many organisations are staffed with ‘group thinking’ people many of whom are too scared to step outside the comfort zone, making sure at the time of hiring that we are looking for the same attributes, attitude and skill set is important. Equally, making sure we are not closing the door to people with transformational, or risk-taking approaches to life is often a valuable mind-set.
Post a reply