Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Employees who make sexual harassment complaints are first to leave

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Apr 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Sexual harassment complaints are a minefield to navigate – and new research shows that the balance may be right off centre.
  • Bernie Althofer | 18 Apr 2012, 03:23 PM Agree 0
    These are interesting findings. I would be interested to know why some were dismissed as a consequence of victimisation after making a complaint. It seems on the face of it that whilst an organisation may have had a sexual harassment policy, there may have been little consideration given as to how to manage issues of victimisation.

Results such as these do not give a lot of encouragement for anyone being subjected to sexual harassment (any other forms of counterproductive behaviours) to formally report incidents. It could however result in driving targets underground so that they continue to suffer and are made to suffer as part of the workplace culture. Earlier articles in HCMag indicated that No means No, but it seems that in some cases, the message is still not getting through.

It is hard enough attracting and retaining well qualified talent in organisations without making it difficult for them to report such behaviours. Sweeping matters under the carpet or favouring the alleged harasser even if the allegations are substantiated may not be in the best interests of all concerned.

Again, it would be beneficial for all organisations to source the study and see what lessons there are that can be learned and applied in their organisation. The points made about a good complaint procedure should be used to review current procedures.
  • anonymous | 11 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
    These things are happening to me right now in a little stick town where it seems rules are not enforced or cared about in any way when it comes to the work place. I have been exposed to many things that should have never happened and I feel strongly that the employees now hate and blame me for the repercussions that may be occurring at that facility. What do I do. I am lost and only stood up for my rights and now I am feeling like the "bad guy". I am afraid to go any further about the issue as I don't want to hurt innocent people. Please help.
Post a reply