Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Employee termination ends in death

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 Aug 2014, 10:08 AM Agree 0
A decision by a manager to terminate an employee turned deadly after an armed show-down.
  • Michelle James | 11 Aug 2014, 11:48 AM Agree 0
    Another sad example of weapon use in the US resulting in the death of someone - it just not a gun this time. I'm fairly certain if this incident occurred in Australia, charges would have been laid against the supervisor i.e. in possession of a lethal weapon at work; cause serious injury, for a start. I'm not sure that disrespecting your boss in front of a customer is grounds for a termination in any event. A very good example of how not to manage a disciplinary matter in the workplace.
  • Deb | 12 Aug 2014, 08:57 AM Agree 0
    I'm not really impressed by the tone of this article - nothing funny about violence and death in the workplace.
  • Mark | 12 Aug 2014, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    I must be missing something. Deb wasn't impressed with the tone of the article because she implied the tone of the article was humorous. I didn't get that all.
  • Deb | 12 Aug 2014, 09:30 AM Agree 0
    The whole posse and high noon theme - I see that as making light of a serious situation.
  • Suzanna Smith | 12 Aug 2014, 11:07 AM Agree 0
    I didn't interpret that they were making fun of the situation either - I thought it was alluding to the "cowboy" approach that possibly helped ignite the tragic outcome.
  • Bernie Althofer | 12 Aug 2014, 11:19 AM Agree 0
    There have been numerous stories over the years about workers seeking revenge against their organisation and the term 'going postal' was coined.

It is a tragedy that has seen not only the primary target being attacked i.e. the supervisor, but also any workers who have happened to be present.

Whilst the article above reports on the story as reported in the Houston Chronicle, one also needs to aware that the way in which an article has been written will focus attention on several issues. It does appear that there are elements of the 'wild west' being used to convey one approach being taken.

That aside, one should focus on the seriousness of what happened. The full story would make for interesting reason and might convey a different interpretation as reported by the Houston Chronicle.

It does seem from reading the above article that the aggrieved perceived it necessary to take action himself (with some support) instead of using internal organisational systems or processes. Perhaps he had no confidence in them or did not how to use them.

What this story does is confirm the importance of providing safe workplaces, ensuring that all managers and workers know and understand termination of employment policies and procedures, ensure that managers and workers have been trained in conflict management (including having a vital or crucial conversation), and to ensure that managers and workers understand the importance of being proactive when it comes to preventing and detecting all forms of occupational violence.
  • HR guru | 12 Aug 2014, 11:38 AM Agree 0
    Michelle James, there's been plenty of workplace disputes in Aust settled `out the back'.
  • Bernie Althofer | 12 Aug 2014, 12:49 PM Agree 0
    Some of those settled out the back resulted in long and protracted investigations involving the then CMC.
Post a reply