Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Employee burnout: it's back

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 Jul 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The pressure for existing employees to take on extra duties and pull longer hours in the wake of a shrinking job market has put burnout squarely back on the agenda.
  • Bernie Althofer | 12 Jul 2012, 09:33 AM Agree 0
    Dr Hill raises an interesting issue regarding bullying flying under the radat with employees being reluctant to report it. Unfortunately, it does appear at least from my experience, that whilst many organisations do have systems and processes in place for preventing, detecting and resolving workplace bullying, employees still indicate a level of 'fear' when it comes to report bullying and other counter productive behaviours.

As a number of discussions are currently indicating, bullying is a complex issue requiring complex solutions. Changing workplace culture, communication and managerial practices, providing supportive environments and making the invisible visible are much more difficult than trying to 'fix' the problem by introducing more 'legal' approaches.

People are finding that the current economic environment plays a key part in making the decision to report bullying. Resolution processes are time consuming as well as physically, psychologically and financially draining with some incidents dragging on for months and even years. In some cases, the targets sees how the bully is rewarded and decides it is just not worth the pain.

I suspect that as educative processes across organisations increase, and there is a wider understanding of the issues involved in the Work Health and Safety legislation, organisations will need to become more proactive in addressing psychological trauma.
Post a reply