Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Email addicts – is it time to go cold turkey?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Apr 2015, 07:32 AM Agree 0
Could a ban on emails make your employees better communicators as well as more considerate?
  • Ken | 08 Apr 2015, 03:06 PM Agree 0
    So a couple of tiny companies eschew email in favour of several thirds party apps. So what?

Clearly they needed some policy around email use and intra-office communication!

Instant messaging is much harder to ignore or set aside until it's convenient to deal with it.
  • Jane | 09 Apr 2015, 09:42 AM Agree 0
    Wouldn't work for me. Email is vital
  • TheRichDB | 15 May 2015, 07:53 AM Agree 0
    Why vital? :-)
  • Fred | 22 Jun 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    The first thing I do every day is clear my entire in-box. I use a one-touch policy - every email is dealt with to its logical conclusion, every time. I get a lot of work done and I never interupt anyone else. I send them an email. They can deal with it when they get to it and send me an email back. I'll deal with it when I get to it, which, because I run a one-touch policy and clear email every day, is generally before the end of the following day. I don't do chats, I don't do coffee, I come to work to work, and I prefer email because it is just the work. Sure, there might be some 'how are you?' and 'have a good weekend' but its brief and quick. I get it done and then I go home to my family. Probably there are clients out there who would prefer me to be more lovey, but I am operations and for the most part when I deal with the client they don't want the chitty-chat, they want the job done. Time is money. If it is super urgent, then my team all sit within three metres of me and I look up and speak. If I speak they know its urgent and we are about to solve a problem, right now, one-touch, done. Giddy-up. If its not so urgent I send them an email. I mean, they are three metres away - I can see they are busy, why should I interupt them? And I also role model head-down, do the work folks, it's not chatty time.

Post a reply