HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Domestic violence leave under fire

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 26 Sep 2016, 09:40 AM Agree 0
The Australian Industry Group has said the proposed wording could allow perpetrators to take paid leave
  • HR Dude | 26 Sep 2016, 11:34 AM Agree 0
    Damn straight! We might be in the ridiculous situation that perpetrators take leave for counselling or treatment. Heaven forbid that happen. Instead we should make taking leave as painful and arduous as possible. I'm talking all stops, sick leave certificates, stat dec from the police, copies of court orders and photographs of any physical abuse.

At some point when trying to take the moral high ground you end up dying of high altitude asphyxiation, AI Group seem to be experiencing the first stage 'shortness of breath and disorientation'.
  • Nicky Mann | 26 Sep 2016, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    HR Dude - your comment is spot on. If leave is needed to support someone to STOP being violent, why wouldn't you let this happen?
  • Sheila Rise | 01 Oct 2016, 10:20 AM Agree 0
    aren't we accepting domestic violence by even providing a type of leave for it? I prefer to offer Employee Assistance Programs for victims to deal with the problem, and provide a supportive environment on a case by case basis
  • JP | 01 Oct 2016, 11:47 PM Agree 0
    We seem to believe that organisations should provide paid leave for almost anything an employee can come up with these days and this in itself is becoming unmanageable and creating an greater entitlement mentality than ever before. In any employment situation Management have the right to use their discretion, and in circumstances such as domestic violence am sure that if an individual needa timeout and support than the humantistic element of management would prevail. To mandate this in legislation takes it too far and it creates an environment where this becomes are another 'entitlement to day off' unless strict and comprehensive evidence is provided to support - which is contrary to what an actual victim is likely to be able to pursue given often they feel guilty party even though this is not the case. In most cases these individuals want the normality of work environment, support from colleagues and would in my experiences as a HR practitioner have the support of an organisation to assist where reasonably able to do.

Once again we feel the need to legislate and therefore create another entitlement accessible to all including the perpetrators rather than allow human discretion, caring and supportive interventions in the workplace to take effect.

Not taking away the seriousness of the domestic violence issue but if we created leave entitlements for any perceived life issue it would be endless - where does it end and what's next?
Post a reply