Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Does reading through work documents while commuting count as “work time”?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Apr 2015, 08:28 AM Agree 0
A government agency is clamping down on its employees’ timesheets after some questionable examples of “being at work” were given.
  • Fiona | 10 Apr 2015, 11:15 AM Agree 0
    Feel like I just stepped back 20 years reading this article.
  • kimbowa | 10 Apr 2015, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    Looks like there needs to be a "work to rule" campaign amongst ATO employees. Do nothing outside your working hours that relates to work. Employers need to acknowledge that employment is a partnership not a dictatorship.
  • caca | 13 Apr 2015, 11:46 AM Agree 0
    I realise this is very Utopian of me but wouldn't it be great if businesses hired enough people to do the work AND have a chance to read work documents during work hours? Maybe even have some back ups for people when they go on leave? I know now I'm just speaking crazy.

But seriously, I'm not sure I necessarily like the direction is which workplaces are going but the focus is shifting solely to output of work not of physical hours. This is great if you get your work done in less time but I don't know anyone who can actually finish for the day without having other work to start or catch up on or leaving a colleague hanging that could use some help.
  • demipico | 22 Apr 2015, 11:46 AM Agree 0
    This is so "old-school" behaviour. So as long as you haven't left the building; are sitting at your seat and appear to be working......... Can't believe that any Govt department in this day and age isn't outcome driven; manages performance with one on one communication and promotes a culture of collaboration and engagement.
  • Rachel | 22 Apr 2015, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    Who's counting "work hours"? Isn't productivity output based?
Post a reply