Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Do CEOs who swear make better leaders?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 06 Sep 2016, 09:40 AM Agree 0
Leaders who use profanities can grab attention, communicate better and appear ‘cool’ according to researchers
  • Simon McCoy | 06 Sep 2016, 11:15 AM Agree 0
    Whilst ever there is a risk of causing offense, best advice is to keep it clean in the office.
  • Gillian Kelly | 06 Sep 2016, 01:45 PM Agree 0
    I don't think it's necessarily the word choice but the implications of the word choice. If what you say hurts or offends someone then you need to ask 'is it necessary?' Could I say it a different way? I think I'm more offended by someone 'swearing at someone' or 'bullying someone with their words or tone' than I am at the colourfulness of the language. It's all in the context. (Of course some words are simply unacceptable and as adults we all know which ones they are.)
  • Trent | 07 Sep 2016, 10:50 AM Agree 0
    Concur absolutely that amongst many others, a key attribute of Leadership is epitomising high professional standards which you expect from your team. Having said this, within the confines of the Boardroom, Leadership meeting or HR counsel, subject to the circumstances, Leaders should be encouraged to vent if necessary with the view of leaving these emotions within these privileged meetings to ensure the high professional standards continue to be demonstrated in the general working environment.

Essentially, subject to the composition of the Leadership team and your experience at this level, mindfulness of each team member will determine whether the occasional expletive used whilst venting will be tolerated, provided it is not directed at any individual.
Post a reply