Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Dispute resolution: Not a gender issue

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Jun 2013, 12:03 AM Agree 0
Although recent events leave its future uncertain, Gillard’s inquiry into gender discrimination at the workplace may have been missing the point anyway, according to an expert.
  • Sue Williamson | 27 Jun 2013, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    Why is this article about bullying and how the recently announced inquiry won't reduce bullying or conflict at work? The inquiry is about discrimination on the ground of pregnancy or maternity leave - it has nothing to do with bullying.
  • Cat-HR | 27 Jun 2013, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    another man who thinks he's an expert about women #speakofthatwhichyouknow
  • Katrina | 27 Jun 2013, 04:14 PM Agree 0
    From this article I would recommend largely ignoring Dr Samuell's opinion in this area and putting grave doubt on his 'expertise' in workplace conflict. And shame on HC Online for pumping up yet another gender attack through media headlines.
  • Cathy | 28 Jun 2013, 06:19 PM Agree 0
    A "gender attack"? Are we now saying that only women can comment on issues pertaining to women and do we apply the reverse also?
  • RivercityIR | 01 Jul 2013, 07:48 AM Agree 0
    I don't think gender had anything to do with her being ousted at all. Her staunch and most vocal backers were all men, and her female MP's deserted her. Her ousting was based on her lack of performance, plain and simple.
  • Susan | 01 Jul 2013, 11:37 AM Agree 0
    The federal govt inquiry into discrimination on grounds of pregnancy has questions of merit. There has been no previous submissions or reports that establishes comprehensive data on pregnant women being bullied. Very convenient of the sudden announcement, at the time of impending election based on union findings.
    Unhelpful rhetoric about 'man who thinks he's an expert on women' is not conducive to the bullying and harassment epidemic. The fact is, employers are being swamped with allegations of workplace abuse, which exhausts time and resources, and most of them are preventative. Workplace conflict is inevitable, especially in service-based organisations but prevention should be paramount to any organisation. Legislating workplace relations do little to resolve causes of dispute. HR is usually underfunded to deal with conflict, on top of other operational responsibilities. The focus on gender is merely wedge politics and detracts from the core issue - mitigating conflict so that it reduces absenteeism, creates better employee relations and higher productivity. Makes sense to me.
  • Angela Brown | 03 Jul 2013, 04:42 PM Agree 0
    Gender discrimination or bullying in the workplace being on going for years but not too many woman report it due losing their job or having a bad name in the industry . As for ms Gillard she is a solicitor by profession so she is the biggest liar and no life skill .
Post a reply