Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Dismissal of absent employee ruled “unjust”

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Oct 2014, 10:12 AM Agree 0
An international technology company lost an unfair dismissal case after it terminated an employee’s contract for his absence following a family emergency.
  • Amanda Rochford | 29 Oct 2014, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    I am astounded that such poor judgement earns a salary these days. I need to ask for a raise lol.
  • Bernie Althofer | 29 Oct 2014, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    Perhaps these types of situations could be avoided through a phone call to check in with the employee.
  • Sarah | 30 Oct 2014, 02:17 PM Agree 0
    Spot on Bernie - Communication's fairly basic.
  • HR Guru | 31 Oct 2014, 10:59 AM Agree 0
    Seems like they wanted him out and looked for a cost them though and so it should have.
  • caca | 03 Nov 2014, 11:32 AM Agree 0
    I can't believe the employer took this action without so much as a phone call to check on the employee.
    Although unless I missed it in the article, the employee didn't contact the employer either and did not show up so the employee is in the wrong as well.
  • Deb | 03 Nov 2014, 12:35 PM Agree 0
    caca - another article said that he asked for it to be changed to Personal Leave and notified them at that time that his wife would be in hospital for an extra 2 weeks. The employer knocked back the request but did not communicate this to the employee.
  • Amanda Rochford | 03 Nov 2014, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    it just gets worse :(
Post a reply