Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Discrimination on the basis of a criminal record

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 May 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
How would your recruitment decision be affected if you discovered that a potential employee had a criminal record?
  • rod | 09 Feb 2013, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    i have been applying for jobs since 2002 i have applied for 150 companyies and tens of thousands of jobs all within my skill level i work now but still need to get a decent paying job as this is a low paying job i am limited i cannot get a loan as i am not earning enough i am 45 this year it took 8 years to get this job and i will be retired by i can get another out of most of the jobs i apply for they told me it was my record that stopped me even though my record had nothing to do with what i applied for
    it is very hard to find employment now i have a job i may lose it as i fell down stairs and was told they can only keep my job for 12 months after that if i am better i may have to go back to getting knock back after knock back because of my record and have been told by a judge my convictions wont be spent i wasted over $600 back in 2006 trying to get an early spent conviction and told i have to wait until 2016 to try again which is unlikely to be spent i cannot afford over $600 everytime and no result it has been over 10 years since my release from prison maybe the law should state spent convictions after 5 years as we are getting punished more then once i only apply for jobs i know i can do and do not relate to my past convictions i am open with my convictions as i want to be honest up front with employers so i know and employers have told me and continue to tell me it is because i have a criminal conviction verbally i have been to lawyers they said my word againist theirs
Post a reply