Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Discrimination lawsuits cost organisation over $70k

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Sep 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A large and controversial US retailer has been forced to pay a large sum and change its employee clothing policy after losing legal battles.
  • Anonymous | 24 Sep 2013, 04:48 PM Agree 0
    Although I don't agree with discriminating against job seekers because of their religious background, I do understand that a company wants to have a certain look and I think it should be within their rights to be able to choose employees who fit the brand.
    Just as the individual should be able to wear a headscarf if she pleases, then the company should be able to hire someone who fits their needs.
  • Anonymous | 24 Sep 2013, 05:42 PM Agree 0
    I agree that no one should be made to feel 'less than' someone else because of their religious beliefs, however, if a business owner has certain requirements - which might include no facial tattoos or piercings, then the business owner has rights too. Setting a brand or a certain 'look' is a part of business management!!
  • Grant | 04 Oct 2013, 10:19 AM Agree 0
    I think we need to remember that when someone chooses to work for an employer the employer does not have the right to ask an employee to stop being themselves. Facial piercings, tattoos and jewellery are all legitimate ways for people to express themselves. If an employer wants to continue to be competitive they need to stop thinking they can control who their employees are.
  • Anonymous | 04 Oct 2013, 10:58 AM Agree 0
    I say if the employer is paying the salary and worrying about how the business is making ends meet, then they have a say about the 'look' they are putting out the the customer or client of their business. If the customer or client is not offended by facial tattoos and/or piercings, then neither should the employer be.
    If the person chooses to work for an employer -and at the time they are employed, has not visible tattoos or piercings, then perhaps they need to consider asking for approval prior to proceeding. There are many other ways to express who you are. Some more acceptable than others.
  • Anonymous | 04 Oct 2013, 11:00 AM Agree 0
    the previous comment of course precludes discrimination based on religious choices.
Post a reply