Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Did they really just say that?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Oct 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
What's the most unusual thing a candidate has ever done in a job interview? Fall asleep? Disappear? Bring his/her mum? A recent survey revealed all.
  • Private | 14 Oct 2011, 02:29 PM Agree 0
    I wish I had the opportunity to contribute to this survey! I had a candidate bring her 6 year old son with her, no warning and had him sit next to her doing his homework while she completed the 90 minute skills test! She got a very good result - very surprising!!!
  • Anonomous | 14 Oct 2011, 03:54 PM Agree 0
    I asked a candidate why they left their last job and they stated they had an affair with the boss's wife and he had found out... I really was lost for words.
  • Ninya | 14 Oct 2011, 05:51 PM Agree 0
    Can't top Anonomous but I had one candidate bring her collosal alsation dog to the interview. I refused to allow him to participate and he was left with the receptionist for the (very short) duration of the interview.
  • Richard | 14 Oct 2011, 07:34 PM Agree 0
    Had a candidate come with a Beer and then fell a sleep in the interview room
  • John | 17 Oct 2011, 03:29 PM Agree 0
    The candidate and I were discussing interests, the candidate said he went fishing on the weekend at a local fishing spot which I replied “there seems to be a lot of weed there.” The candidate responded “Yeah, there was a lot of people smoking but I only had one.”
  • Peter | 18 Oct 2011, 04:41 PM Agree 0
    Candidate said they were too good for the job but it would do until a better one came up?
  • Annonymous | 19 Oct 2011, 04:47 PM Agree 0
    Around the other way the boss started to pick his nose and #####. You're correct I got up and left and suggested he use a tissue.
  • Kezcarma | 20 Oct 2011, 03:23 PM Agree 0
    Had one candidate come in and read answeres to questions off a sheet he had prepared earlier. I'm pretty sure he just printed off a Wiki article...
  • Leanne | 21 Oct 2011, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    Our candidate froze ... literally! Despite our best efforts to break the ice or help him relax he sat down, looked straight ahead and did not say one word until we eventually gave up and told him that we'd have to end the interview at which point he only said thank you and walked out.
  • Deborah | 25 Oct 2011, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    We had one candidate answer a question saying her previous boss likes to dot the i's and all that crap.
  • Deb | 28 Oct 2011, 04:22 PM Agree 0
    We had a impressive interview with a lady and she was looking like the front runner for an accounting job. She ended the interview by telling us an unrelated, very off colour, nasty story about a group of gay women - presumably she didn't know that the Director was gay? She didn't get the job
  • Anonomous | 04 Nov 2011, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    Too many to mention! two that really stick out though...
    1. When I went to collect a candidate from reception, he was on his mobile, I smiled and introduced myself, he held his finger up at me, finished his conversation and stayed seated until I said, we better go into the interview room...
    2. One candidate managed to say "bullshit, gollywog and pissing" in the first 5 minutes of his interview, for a managerial role
  • PK | 07 Nov 2011, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    It was an Interviewer bungle..........2 chaps interviewed me for a senior finance position. The older interviewer did most of the talking and his 'underling' seemed to just be there for no good reason.
    The younger chap actually fell asleep ! Needless to say, I did not take the position !
  • JM | 08 Nov 2011, 11:49 AM Agree 0
    Interviewing for a Senior Management position in a Government Department, myself and two other panel members were waiting for 'Dave' to arrive as the final candidate for the day. A six-foot middle aged man with a trimmed beard (think Santa) we greeted 'Dave' at the boardroom door with him dressed in drag! Trying to avoid asking the question, he finally asked if we were uncomfortable with his choice of attire, as he felt more confident in women's clothing in stressful situations...unfortunately he did not make the final cut.
  • AS | 08 Nov 2011, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    I once had the pleasant experience of a candidate telling me I needed to lose weight...needless to say I asked her to leave the interview room immediately and she didn't get the job...
  • Sheryl | 09 Nov 2012, 02:32 PM Agree 0
    I once had a candidate interview for a hospital orderly position; he walked up 6 flights of stairs to attend the interview as he was claustrophobic and could not use lifts...unfortunately, patient transport via the stairs was not really an option, and he did not get the job.
Post a reply