Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Defamation in the workplace: what you need to know

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 21 May 2014, 11:09 AM Agree 0
Everyone vents about their boss or colleagues from time to time, but when does blowing off steam cross the line into legal territory? HC investigates.
  • Robyn Matthewman | 21 May 2014, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    I was subjected to bullying / harassment by my Co-Ordinator, I reported to this to my Manager and HR, unfortunately as I suffer from major depression this was blamed for my 'over reaction'. Eventually I retired in April
  • Sebastian Harvey | 21 May 2014, 03:49 PM Agree 0
    My understanding of the issue is that qualified privilege also extends to HR and, where an organisation has them, Contact/Diversity Officers. Both groups should have been given this right as part of their role to provide people with information about their rights and/or to follow-up on allegations. An important condition of qualified privilege is that the conversations are confidential. HR, contact officers and managers who spread allegations to anyone not covered by qualified privilege could still be at risk of a defamation claim. Allegations made to HR or a CO must still be in good faith to avoid being defamatory.
  • HW | 21 May 2014, 10:11 PM Agree 0
    Robyn - even though you have retired, your suffering from Depression should not have been used by the organisation to avoid liability for genuine workplace bullying. It might be worth your while to get professional advice (a lawyer and/or your former union, for example) immediately about any rights you may have in this case.
  • Annie | 28 Jun 2016, 09:43 PM Agree 0
    How do you defend yourself from a colleague that makes you out to be in the wrong in front of colleagues but in fact is not so but wants to ensure it comes across to other personnel as so?
  • HCA @ NHS UK | 23 Nov 2016, 06:06 AM Agree 0
    If I bullied someone in public, I would be accountable to police interrogation.
    When I am bullied and proven to be bullied at work when does enough become enough?
Post a reply