Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Debate finds racism is holding Australia back

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 15 Nov 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Not enough is being done to address racism in Australian workplaces, according to a panel of Australian thought leaders.
  • A | 15 Nov 2012, 03:34 PM Agree 0
    I feel this is the case, especially with recruiters. I have been told that I should anglicise my name so as not to be discriminated against before my resume is even looked at. Another thing I was told is to ring the recruiter before applying so they can tell that I have a good grasp of English and no accent rather than them assuming that I am an international student, which is probably worse than the above example.

It is actually quite depressing, but thankfully I have a job already even though I do not like the culture or the people. I feel more for the people that are discriminated against due to age and have family to support, as thankfully I still live at home and my parents would never kick me to the kerb, so I will always have a roof over my head and don't have to worry about paying the bills or feeding myself or others if this job gets any worse before I find another one.

All in all, it is really good to hear that they are speaking about this type of discrimination, as it appears that the main focus in Australia regarding diversity is gender and mainly for women. Which I guess is good for me as a woman, but I think my race/ethnicity would be the first place I would be discriminated against, so that sort of matters to me more.
  • RC | 19 Nov 2012, 11:16 PM Agree 0
    I have also been advised to modify my name. One GM, when presented with a CV with my name , candidly said that "...these resumes (people from my racial background) go to the bottom of the pile... They all exaggerate their qualifications." One recruiter said "I will let my client know you are not a typical ..." A manager I spoke to recently said "80% of those people are no good and the other 20% can't handle pressure."

Post a reply