Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Dealing with workplace trauma

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 30 Jul 2014, 11:32 AM Agree 0
A law firm has instituted a vicarious trauma program to help employees who are affected by dealing with traumatised clients and traumatic cases – can you apply a similar program in your workplace?
  • Catherine Cahill | 30 Jul 2014, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    What a great response to an overlooked workplace issue I have worked in Health and in NFPs where some staff have really struggled with second hand trauma. Hats off to you for developing such an initiative. I really look forward to reading more about your processes and results.
  • Batman of Brisbane | 30 Jul 2014, 01:32 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Catherine's comments - even though the effects of bullying etc on witnesses is well known, this is still an often overlooked area of risk. HR Practitioners may be similarly exposed vicariously to the often stressful or tragic circumstances of others, e.g. employees dealing with bullying or harassment, personal loss, domestic violence, injury or serious illness, abusive clients, redundancies and the like. Health care professionals and front-line social workers may often have access to "Professional Supervision" and I strongly recommend that this is also extended to include HR and even line managers.
  • Catherine Cahill | 30 Jul 2014, 01:38 PM Agree 0
    Too true Batman! As HR professionals we can deal with some pretty awful situations - and we do seem to believe we have to just "deal with it". Maybe AHRi could help with this initiative.
  • Jennifer Staines | 01 Aug 2014, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    This is definitely an area where I have felt 'inadequate' as a HR professional. I applaud all initiatives that help build resilience & confidence in dealing with trauma AND recognition of when you need a bit of extra support yourself.
Post a reply