Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CV gender bias: What’s in a name?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Jul 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A qualified professional who wasn’t getting any work found one little change on his resume fixed things, but this isn’t good news.
  • HW The Ethicos Group | 17 Jul 2013, 03:54 PM Agree 0
    Hmmm.."in the 1990's". I wonder if the same thing would happen today.

On the other hand, I suspect that 'Age-ism' is a far more widespread (and more damaging) practice, which undermines merit-based employment and in so doing undermines competitiveness and productivity.

What most organisations fail to recognise is that Age-ism can arise as a rsult of an unacceptable conflict of interests: where older competent workers are deliberately excluded from consideration by younger, less experienced managers who fear being 'shown up' by an older worker, (and yes, it happens), that exclusion can amount to misconduct.
  • Glenda May | 17 Jul 2013, 06:13 PM Agree 0
    I believe it, even today. I have a coachee with the surname Lee. After many rejections, we added a photo to show she was Anglo-Saxon. I am ashamed of Australian recruiters to say her invitation rate for interviews doubled!~
  • Howard Whitton | 18 Jul 2013, 10:41 AM Agree 0
    Agreed: shame is a positive response here.
    btw: my comments on Age-ism (above) amounting to misconduct on the part of the HRM/recruiter also apply to racism, ethnicism, religionism, and tribalism, because this sort of bias ultimately damages the employer's interests.
Post a reply