Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Comment of the week: Addressing bullying behaviours

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Jan 2014, 07:41 AM Agree 0
With new laws surrounding workplace bullying coming into effect at the dawn of 2014, it was a no-brainer that an article on identifying bullies in the workplace was going to gain traction. Read on for the comment of the week!
  • Howard Whitton | 17 Jan 2014, 12:40 PM Agree 0
    Bernie's comment struck a chord with me: he onserved - " Sometimes those with the real cause for complaint get lost in the system because everyone is running around trying to solve a problem they think is bullying, without first trying to find out exactly what the problem is."

I agree base on many years' experience. So I have developed a diagnostic smartphone and tablet app, for use by victims/targets, and managers, who need to get this right before taking action. The app is also intended to help organisations (and directors) to stay out of court by accurately identifying risk factors in advance - before it happens. Happy to discuss.
  • Cameron | 17 Jan 2014, 02:12 PM Agree 0
    Hi Howard, thanks for your comment.

If you'd like to further discuss your app with the HC team, please shoot an email over to cameron.edmond@keymedia.com.au.
  • Ferg | 17 Jan 2014, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    I agree with the comment about matching people to a list. It happened to me, but luckily was reported in the same order as the list and was obviously contrived. In this case, it got no traction and backfired on the perpetrators.
  • Bernie Althofer | 18 Jan 2014, 01:26 PM Agree 0
    There are times in all our lives when internal or external pressures can have an adverse impact on how we interact with others. In some cases, this impact will lead others to believe that the behaviours used are 'bullying'.

It is to everyone's benefit if we can see what these triggers are that cause us to react this way, and in some cases, it will be workplace hazards such as organisational change and the pressures that come from it. In other cases, it will be a non work related matter that we have not been able to shake off.

Sometimes even the person who ends up being accused of bullying behaviours gets lost in the system. In some cases the perpetrators join the herd mentality and do what others have done to them, and in other cases, the perpetrator recognises the impact their behaviour has on others, and seeks help.

There are times when one has to venture deep into the forest to get the answers. The problem is that sometimes the forest appears to be too foreboding, and it is easier to find a way around.

There is a tendency to put up a policy and procedure without addressing the workplace hazard. Unfortunately, there are a number of 'lists' that have been developed or promoted over the years, not only in relation to bullying but also in relation to personality types etc.

Like getting to the centre of the forest, one has to go through a lot of vines, undergrowth etc. However, the hard work is worth it.
Post a reply