Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Coaching lessons from neuroscience

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 19 Jul 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
How do you coach effectively in an environment characterised by ambiguity, rapid change and uncertainty? Dr Connie Henson outlines how neuroscience can help people better understand their own behaviour, reinforce change efforts and rewire their brains to make more effective decisions in an unpredictable world.
  • Michael Foley | 20 Jul 2012, 09:57 AM Agree 0
    I've worked with Connie on numerous occasions and seen her integrate this type of learning into leadership development offerings. The result has been a great session that really engaged people and helped them think in a new way about how to approach problems and better deal with business and people issues back in the workplace. This type of content really does make a difference!
  • Felicity Law | 20 Jul 2012, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    The best article I have read in a very long time! It is the core of what we deliver. Thank you

Felicity Law, Business Director
    Felicity's Law
    "...because, if nothing changes, nothing changes."
    wwww.felicityslaw.com
  • Jean Clendinning | 21 Jul 2012, 03:42 PM Agree 0
    Connie not only explains the essence in this article but includes practical suggestions that can be embedded into the development of our leaders, so that it becomes business as usual.

Connie, has embedded this successfully and easily into the many leadership courses that she has developed for us. In times of uncertainty and managing adaptive challenges, a different approach is needed and here lies some of the answers and tools to assist our managers and leaders today.
  • Victoria Sublette | 23 Jul 2012, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    Excellent article, Dr Henson. I was wondering: if we are hardwired for emotion, what is the best way to move people from processing stimulus emotionally, to intellectually?
  • Caroline Addenbrooke | 23 Jul 2012, 09:07 PM Agree 0
    Great article, Connie. Floating new ideas or ways of doing things is not easy. This certainly provides some useful approaches to facilitating such acceptance.
  • Connie Henson | 24 Jul 2012, 10:58 AM Agree 0
    Hi Victoria, That’s a great question. Psychologists and neuroscientists have demonstrated that simply labelling or naming the emotion(s) is an effective method for reducing the response of the amygdala and other brain structures related to processing negative feelings. Moreover, labelling emotion also increases activity in the prefrontal cortex, which is associated with complex thinking (e.g. judgement and reasoning). Based on these findings one idea would be for coaches to simply ask their clients to describe their feelings. This would change the way the information is being processed. Also asking ‘what is this emotion telling you about this situation?’ The answer will frequently reveal useful information. Often, our emotions are alerting us to important information. Encourage your clients try to uncover what they are actually feeling and then they can decide how that information fits into the larger pool of information.
  • Victoria Sublette | 25 Jul 2012, 11:13 AM Agree 0
    That is terrific, Connie, and I can understand how that would work. Brilliant!
    Thank you.
  • Mereoni Radio | 25 Jul 2012, 02:03 PM Agree 0
    Thank you for this article Connie.You have provided me some very practical ways of handling situations and have found some very important tools that hopefully I can borrow to assist me when working with people.Very informative and interesting indeed.Thanks for the great work.
Post a reply