Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Changing the way we change

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jun 2009, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Change and transition outcomes are achieved by more than hard-metric results. It is how people get those results. Dianne Jacobs advocates an action learning approach to change management
  • Kelly Magowan | 04 Jul 2009, 02:11 PM Agree 0
    Dianne this is an interesting article and your point that 'People do not resist change per se; what they resist is loss' is very true. Another issue attached to change is risk, as change invariably brings different levels of risk. Particularly for employees and executives in larger organizations, which by their very makeup often don’t have a strong risk taking culture, where failure through taking risks and making changes often goes punished. Therefore it is any wonder that people are reluctant and uncomfortable with change, as the messages being sent can be conflicting with change and risk taking being okay is some instances i.e. redundancies and restructuring or new system implementation, yet not okay when it comes to innovative business and process changes.
  • Kelly Magowan | 04 Jul 2009, 02:12 PM Agree 0
    Dianne this is an interesting article and your point that 'People do not resist change per se; what they resist is loss' is very true. Another issue attached to change is risk, as change invariably brings different levels of risk. Particularly for employees and executives in larger organizations, which by their very makeup often don’t have a strong risk taking culture, where failure through taking risks and making changes often goes punished. Therefore it is any wonder that people are reluctant and uncomfortable with change, as the messages being sent can be conflicting with change and risk taking being okay is some instances i.e. redundancies and restructuring or new system implementation, yet not okay when it comes to innovative business and process changes.
  • Marianne Matin | 14 Jul 2009, 01:47 PM Agree 0
    A good article. I like your quote" people are more likely to act their way into new thinking, than to think their way into new actions". I have often heard "you behaved your way into the problem, so you need to behave your way out of it".

In terms of loss, this is typically one of three things: competence, community or control (3 c”s):
    1. Competence – will I be able to do it?
    2. Community – losing the people they worked with.
    3. Control – feeling powerless or not part of decision-making
Post a reply