Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Changes to 457 visa program announced

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Mar 2015, 03:13 PM Agree 0
The government announced yesterday that it will be implementing changes to the 457 program following a review – here’s what that means for employers.
  • Anonymous | 18 Mar 2015, 03:25 PM Agree 0
    And just when I though immigration policy could not get any worse for this country...the need to speak English has just been lifted!! Great news for those who dont speak english [insert sarcasm here]
  • Harold bud | 18 Mar 2015, 06:14 PM Agree 0
    This will include relaxing the English language proficiency required to obtain the visa. Not to mention relaxing Australian trade proficiency standards as well
  • L.B | 19 Mar 2015, 02:19 PM Agree 0
    Oh the discrimination and racism in Australia continues. If Australians would take these jobs or even be qualified, there would be no need for the 457 visA. Think about it ppl!
  • Robin | 19 Mar 2015, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    OMG what next? What idiot(s) made the decision to relax English proficiency? The standard of English of many in business here is already so low that trying to understand them on the phone is exhausting and pointless. Being born in Australia and always being told, good written and verbal English was essential to get along and to have effective business relationships, it seems I've been mistaken all these years. I would appreciate knowing whether we are in fact an English speaking country and if not, just what language do I have to go and learn. Back to point however, would I go to the cost and trouble of hiring a 4,5,7 visa holder to work here if their English wasn't up to my standards? No darn way..... and I doubt I am alone on that one. What this means is that employers considering 4,5,7 options will now need to put their own English language testing in place (at further cost) before considering any applicant.
  • KG | 19 Mar 2015, 05:19 PM Agree 0
    L.B. I believe there is a greater issue (excluding the racism comment - which I won't disagree with although I am not sure it was the intention of others). This relaxing will allow for more FIFO workers to take on roles that can be willingly filled by people already living in Australia. I find this to be unfortunate - not because those people on the Visas don't need work (they clearly do!), but rather because they could be taking jobs that willing locals would also like. Have a look at the subclass 400 visa. This in conjunction with the TPP - it is a scary country that is being created.
  • Amanda Rochford | 20 Mar 2015, 09:28 AM Agree 0
    the value of workers on 457 visas who do not speak english is that they will not be able to navigate their way through the Industrial Relations legislation. They will be less capable of spotting let alone fighting any reduction in working conditions. Its not because Australians dont want these jobs or cant do these jobs, its because we understand our legal entitlements.
  • Justin Sofo | 20 Mar 2015, 11:11 PM Agree 0
    What is Australia becoming. If you cannot communicate in English, what good are you to the workforce? The focus should be jobs for Australians. 457 have to be strict.
  • CONFUSED | 04 May 2015, 06:19 PM Agree 0
    I have had three jobs in the last 12 months, I see myself replaced by younger more eager foreigners, who take cash and don't complain the bosses just cant get enough of them. the place in which I work now has over 50 % foreign workers and us ozzies and being removed from work. Its very frustrating trying to compete with young no commitments people who are on a working holiday, I cant remember the last time I could afford one........

Post a reply