HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CEO’s Vogue spread sparks controversy

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Aug 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Yahoo’s CEO has appeared in a recent issue of Vogue, sparking controversy around women’s representation in the C-suite.
  • Al | 22 Aug 2013, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    As the article suggests....If this was a male photo shoot and article (and there has been MANY) we wouldn't be having this debate. I would also suggest that if it was a more mature and less attractive female in boring conservative suit attire and a more masculine pose, we also wouldn't be having this debate and no one would have critised her comments. Good on Mayer and well done Vogue.
  • SM | 22 Aug 2013, 04:58 PM Agree 0
    I'll start by saying that I am female (not quite 40) & in the C-suite. I worked damned hard to get here as have all my colleagues (regardless of gender). I have been privileged to have a career where I have not had to fight harder because I am female. Should I ever be featured in an article, you can sure as hell bet that I will not be posing in a sun dress, on a lawn chair. Why? Because in the workplace, the kind of people who are credible are ones who say, do & look the part. Summer dresses & lawn chairs are for catalogues or dating sites! It's true we would never have this conversation about a man, because a man probably would not have taken a photo in his board shorts & T-shirt lying on a lawn chair. I get what they were trying to achieve, but "in real life", image/brand is critical. That's why when we go to a job interview we dress & behave in a particular way. You don't have to like it, but you need to be real. If you want to be taken seriously, then play the part - regardless of your gender.
  • Annie | 22 Aug 2013, 05:38 PM Agree 0
    I think we have to remember where this article was - it was in Vogue - not the Business Weekly - If they were offering me a nice dress, hair and makeup for a shot - Id be happy to take it up. We dont have to act like 'Men" to get to the top - let the soft fluffy stuff show - thats whats been missing at the top for a long time... Women can be "women" and make good leaders.
Post a reply