Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CEO’s Vogue spread sparks controversy

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Aug 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Yahoo’s CEO has appeared in a recent issue of Vogue, sparking controversy around women’s representation in the C-suite.
  • Al | 22 Aug 2013, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    As the article suggests....If this was a male photo shoot and article (and there has been MANY) we wouldn't be having this debate. I would also suggest that if it was a more mature and less attractive female in boring conservative suit attire and a more masculine pose, we also wouldn't be having this debate and no one would have critised her comments. Good on Mayer and well done Vogue.
  • SM | 22 Aug 2013, 04:58 PM Agree 0
    I'll start by saying that I am female (not quite 40) & in the C-suite. I worked damned hard to get here as have all my colleagues (regardless of gender). I have been privileged to have a career where I have not had to fight harder because I am female. Should I ever be featured in an article, you can sure as hell bet that I will not be posing in a sun dress, on a lawn chair. Why? Because in the workplace, the kind of people who are credible are ones who say, do & look the part. Summer dresses & lawn chairs are for catalogues or dating sites! It's true we would never have this conversation about a man, because a man probably would not have taken a photo in his board shorts & T-shirt lying on a lawn chair. I get what they were trying to achieve, but "in real life", image/brand is critical. That's why when we go to a job interview we dress & behave in a particular way. You don't have to like it, but you need to be real. If you want to be taken seriously, then play the part - regardless of your gender.
  • Annie | 22 Aug 2013, 05:38 PM Agree 0
    I think we have to remember where this article was - it was in Vogue - not the Business Weekly - If they were offering me a nice dress, hair and makeup for a shot - Id be happy to take it up. We dont have to act like 'Men" to get to the top - let the soft fluffy stuff show - thats whats been missing at the top for a long time... Women can be "women" and make good leaders.
Post a reply