Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

CEO onboarding can’t be shirked

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 20 Mar 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The head of the company, the CEO, is ultimately still a team member – and those in the top job need just as much help before starting a new appointment as do junior staff, a leading recruiter has warned.
  • Karen Simmons | 20 Mar 2013, 04:25 PM Agree 0
    Surely an incoming CEO would have a conversation with HR before turning up about their own expectations and needs from the onboarding process? If they expect to be drip fed what they need to know via an HR dept, then I suspect they are probably not the right hire in the first place!
    HR teams need to be more assertive in communicating the standard process, and questionning as to what additional information the new CEO would like and expect to see, and then most importantly, delivering what is needed.
  • Tracy Mellor | 20 Mar 2013, 05:15 PM Agree 0
    Great article - totally agree. Having "onboarded" C level staff myself, it isn't really "standard" process that creates success. It's the informal chats, dinners, coffees, background reading, away days, team lunches - anything you can do before they actually start and then the partnering to help them fight through all the "brace twanging" that happens when "big" people start that really makes the difference.

Then a good transitional executive coach so that they have got support for the first six months! If you haven't got one try Karen Barker - she's brilliant and we used her at Rebel for years.
Post a reply