Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Can you trust LinkedIn profiles?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Oct 2012, 12:03 AM Agree 0
Despite having become one of the most popular online platforms for professional networking – a whopping 83% of Aussie employers don’t trust the info people provide on their profiles.
  • Kevin | 22 Oct 2012, 03:07 PM Agree 0
    If they lied here they will lie on their CV. I dont see a real difference and as the artcile says - thi sthen becomes a very public lie.
  • Georgie D | 22 Oct 2012, 03:16 PM Agree 0
    I feel that LinkedIn profiles are transparent because of the visibility of your work history to the public. I agree with the MD of Employment Office that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to lie on your LinkedIn profile.
  • Lorica | 23 Oct 2012, 08:57 AM Agree 0
    Have we seen an increase in organisations using a third party to conduct background checks?
  • Tracy S | 24 Oct 2012, 12:30 PM Agree 0
    They lie regardless, a CV is no different to LinkedIn, except they only send their CV to people they want to see it. On LinkedIn it will possibly be more accurate as they are still connected to previous employees/colleagues. That's why you need to do reference checks!
  • Andrew B | 05 Nov 2012, 02:17 PM Agree 0
    I have been involved with one recruiter whose own staff have spent a deal of time developing their own profiles which, should we be charitable? 'stretch' the 'truth' to unbelievable limits, ok let us call it as it is-lying through their teeth. If recruiters are doing this how much can you really rely on the profiles?
  • Murray | 14 Nov 2012, 08:38 AM Agree 0
    At March this year LinkedIn claim to have over three million users in Australia not two. In the public forum that is LI colleauges, peers and friends are more likely to question your profile and most of them won't ever see your resume. Most people can't hide - the truth will come out one way or another.
Post a reply