Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Can you dismiss an employee for after-hours conduct?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 06 Nov 2015, 12:00 AM Agree 0
HC speaks to an employment lawyer about the legalities of taking action against an employee who engages in inappropriate behaviour during their personal time.
  • Bernie Althofer | 06 Nov 2015, 11:41 AM Agree 0
    There are good and valid points raised in this article.

I wonder whether or not individuals who attend such events and then engage in behaviours that result in termination of their employment fully understand the connection between their workplace and the social event, and the connection to individual and organisational reputation.

It does appear that some individuals do attend social events in their own time. However, their involvement in an incident may have connections to their workplace. Perhaps when policies are issued, individuals are not provided with an opportunity to discuss and share their knowledge, understanding or interpretation about the intent and consequences of the policies. Unfortunately some still do appear to want to use the excuse "Noboby told me" or "the grog made me do it." It also appears that in some cases, a group of colleagues will attend a work approved function and no-one puts their hand up to take responsibility to manage the group so incident occurs when in reality, it could have been prevented by a person stepping in and saying "You are crossing the line so that it is for you today". Sometimes it makes sense for the group to take responsibility for each other, because like it or not, depending on the issue, they may all be drawn into it.
Post a reply