Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Can employees legally record meetings with management?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 05 May 2014, 10:58 AM Agree 0
As HR professionals, the last thing we want to worry about is having employees secretly recording performance or disciplinary meetings. HC Online looks at the legalities of secret recordings.
  • Sally | 05 May 2014, 12:26 PM Agree 0
    An employee claimed to have secretly recorded a conversation. We advised that this was inappropriate behavior, potentially illegal, and would not be condoned. I gave my consent for the recording to be disclosed as part of an investigation into the matter at hand, but the recording was never produced.
  • Laurence | 07 May 2014, 09:23 AM Agree 0
    Normally if an employee sees the need to record their conversations with management the 'trust and confidence' has already broken down. In the majority of cases where this occurs it is due to management denying what was said in previous conversations. Also if someone is aware that they are being recorded normally they will not say what they really think and in some cases refuse to take part in the conversation if they are aware it is being recorded, which indicates they really have something to hide.
    If the worplace is open and above board managers have nothing to fear being secretely recorded. What do they have to hide? In many professions/jobs you do not have a right to have a support person present during conversations... as management classes them as 'private conversation' between them and the relevant employee.
Post a reply