Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Caltex fuels parental return-to-work debate

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 26 Sep 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Caltex Australia has become the latest employer to recognise the need to support return-to-work parents, with the announcement of a ground-breaking initiative.
  • Judy Higgins | 26 Sep 2012, 01:07 PM Agree 0
    All good for parents looking to return to work. Does Caltex have an older worker policy to recruit and retain older workers?
  • Jessica | 28 Sep 2012, 02:15 PM Agree 0
    How will Caltex handle the disgruntled employees who choose not to have children? Surely this could be some kind of discrimination, seeing as though ONLY parents are entitled to this bonus?
  • Jessica | 28 Sep 2012, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    How will Caltex handle the disgruntled non-parents who are not entitled to this extra 3% per quarter? Surely this is some kind of discrimination, seeing as though only parents are entitled to it?
  • John | 02 Oct 2012, 01:20 PM Agree 0
    Interesting comments. I get the feeling that there is a bit of general swing away form the ongoing provision of financial and other support for those with child care responsibilities, while the rest of the workforce is not supported or receiving any such 'benefits'. Carers leave, paid parental leave, paid paternity leave, employer obligations for provision of flexible work practices, Government Paid Parental Leave scheme, childcare rebates, dependant tax rebates etc etc etc. These are (mostly) relatively new initiatives available to parents/carers. Has there been a similar uplift in benefits for the non-parent/carerer? Do we think the balance of provision of so many benefits to one class of employee is fair, or simply redressing the balance? Are employers simply 'jumping on the bandwagon' with parental benefits, and how do their employees really feel (ALL their employees).
  • Clara | 02 Oct 2012, 03:21 PM Agree 0
    Australia, up until recently, was sitting alongside only Liberia, Papua New Guinea, Swaziland and the US as the only countries that did not provide mandatory financial assistance for parents. I think Caltex have made a good move and other employers should also seek ways to encourage return to work parents. We need the workers to keep working for the future to support the ageing population and the pressure this will cause on our infrastructure which will affect everyone. This is not about "parent" or "non-parent" this is about protecting our economy and our future.

Knowing how hard it is to find and retain good talent I welcome any moves employers can make to hang onto decent employees. These types of schemes are an investment in our future.

John, do you think "ALL employees" would have issues with employer benefits targeted at assisting their depressed colleagues? those from troubled home environments? Those requiring additional leave? Do "ALL employees" really begrudge helping others in a time of need? Would they take issue with a new mother being able to continue breastfeeding at work so she can nourish her child whilst also adding value to her employer? If so I suggest we are recruiting the wrong type of people don't you?
  • Susan | 04 Oct 2012, 11:22 PM Agree 0
    You want to have a child, you pay for it. Simple.
Post a reply