Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Boys club referrals limit female success

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 20 Dec 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Australian business women believe male-dominated referral networks are one of the biggest barriers to their success, a new survey has found.
  • Neil Cockroft | 20 Dec 2012, 03:30 PM Agree 0
    This is a valid issue, but is as much about unconscious bias as it is active exclusion of women by men. Men AND women like to hire or refer those they have worked closely with and/or know well - ie tried and trusted people. Not a bad talent strategy, but the 'mini-me' risks need to be understood and safeguarded against. I use exactly this scenario in my unconscious bias awarness-raising work. Even the strongest diversity champions can fall into the trap - including unintentionally.
  • Renee Robson | 03 Jan 2013, 06:43 AM Agree 0
    Well said Neil.
    Unfortunately the desire for a 'tried and true' candidate can sometimes mean the best person for the job can be overlooked. A busy manager or HR team can sometimes look to a quick solution to fill a personnel gap, while referrals are extremely valuable the inherent bias needs to be acknowledged by the hiring manager.
  • Yvonne Walker | 04 Jan 2013, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    Neil - great point - and this applies to diversity across a whole range of characteristics, not just gender.
Post a reply