Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Blonde HR professionals: The chosen ones?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Apr 2014, 12:05 PM Agree 0
An impassioned debate has exploded in the HR blogosphere after an HR director suggested that CEOs hire young blonde females into HR roles because they ‘lack the experience to challenge’ the CEOs.
  • Paula | 29 Apr 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    I remember as a Regional HR Manager, reflecting to the Director HR that I thought he seemed to only hire young female HR personnel as they were twice as educated and worked twice as hard as their male counterparts whilst being paid half as much. He turned to me and said "yeah, its good isn't it!".
  • Vera | 29 Apr 2014, 01:16 PM Agree 0
    Hmmm. it's not just in HR though. Some managers/operators prefer to hire those that they think will not be a threat in any way at all; and hope that they be quietly accepting. However, I believe that these people are likely to be very insecure in their own roles.
  • Gloria Ramsbottom-Lemieux | 29 Apr 2014, 02:04 PM Agree 0
    I got my first job in HR due to my texting skills, my diploma in Purchasing, my love of People and perhaps because I speak some French. Also I love bigdata and pleasing my boss.
    Gloria
    Ramsbottom-lemieux.blogspot.co.il
  • Anon | 29 Apr 2014, 02:27 PM Agree 0
    I remember meeting a team of very intelligent and experienced HR people for one of the Big 4 a number of years ago. The person that was put in charge of the Executive Leadership program was a very attractive blonde woman of twenty four who had changed jobs from an unrelated industry (doing unrelated work) and didn't have a HR or Training Qual. I was a little surprised. At the time I put it down to an impressive title for more of a coordinator role. Perhaps I was wrong?

That said, I didn't deal much with her and as a firm beleiver of 'anyone can do anything if you give them the direction and support' who am I to judge?
  • Alice | 29 Apr 2014, 03:26 PM Agree 0
    I am a French blond and young HR professional with experience in Diversity project management. I am a recent PR looking for professional opportunities in Australia, where the cultural diversity is kind of examplary. However I am more and more disappointed by the huge amount of preconceptions women suffer in their everyday and professional life. It is a sign that we have a real room to change and reach high rates of performance, creativity, innovation and cooperation in Australia. Go girls! we have a beautiful future before us!
  • Catherine Cahill | 29 Apr 2014, 05:05 PM Agree 0
    Are we too assume that young brunette female graduates do not suffer the same image issue? Or young male graduates?

Would there have been a better way of making the point that sometimes CEOs employ people who will not challenge them?

I have seen assertive HR people move on from organisations, and non assertive HR people kept on board. From my observations, age and hair colour played on part in the process.
  • Dennis CEO AFPA | 29 Apr 2014, 05:31 PM Agree 0
    Hmmm, we are an organisation of 50/50 male/female ratio with only one blonde, I like to think we employ based on skill, experience, knowledge and fit well before we consider gender or hair colour!
  • Samantha | 30 Apr 2014, 01:04 PM Agree 0
    Our young blond male employee was, I am almost positive, hired for his charm, smile and good looks - over other similarly qualified applicants. So, getting away from the original discussion, are the "pretty boys" (and girls) more likely to be hired - all other things being equal?

• Barbara | 30 Apr 2014, 03:22 PM Agree 0
    Is it really 2014? Do we still judge people on the colour of their hair. It really doesn't matter whether its HR role or not its incredible discrimination.
Post a reply