Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Billionaire calls for three day work week

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Jul 2014, 11:10 AM Agree 0
One of the world’s richest businessmen is proposing people work longer hours, but fewer days. Could his model work in Australia?
  • Keith Warren | 22 Jul 2014, 01:24 PM Agree 0
    Having passed the magic age of 60 and being fortunate in being able to work part time, the benefits of the shorter week are enormous.
    However it requires the company to be totally supportive and the organisation to recognise that older staff are a bank of accumulated knowledge and skill. If staff are truly valued, then the benefits to the employer and the employee are magnified.
  • Dianne | 22 Jul 2014, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    Carlos Slim makes a valid point in that organisations should consider the strategic advantages of enabling flexibile work arrangements to accommodate the needs of the changing demographic workforce. Depending on the nature of the business, there are benefits in terms of productivity, staff wellbeing and cost savings associated with offering flexibile work arrangements, regardless of age or personal circumstances. Research shows benefits relating to reduced absenteeism, increased performance outcomes and retention of quality staff. With robust planning and implementation, organisations can reap the benefits of flexible work arrangements.
  • Cook | 23 Jul 2014, 02:34 PM Agree 0
    i thought he was going to suggest working longer hours and working less days. eg. 40hrs over 4 days and 3 days off per week. I like the concept. might start doing just that next week and report back.
Post a reply