Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

BHP reigns over office etiquette

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 23 Aug 2011, 12:01 AM Agree 0
Coffee slurpers and office hoarders beware, the etiquette police are after you!

• Monique Kinerson | 24 Aug 2011, 09:03 AM Agree 0
    This is a great policy and really is just getting back to basic manners. Work is for work, it can have certain personal aspects but keeping it functioning as an office area is really important to help create the working mindset. It is professional and totally appropriate - that's why there are no complaints - I am sure some staff members were asking for these things to occur! That's often how the rules are made!
  • Todd Sales | 24 Aug 2011, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    I'd respectfully disagree. The work place should remain a human environment - it should not become a place that becomes anaemic or sterilised. Some of these rules are straight forward - even common sense, such as mobile phone etiquette. Others really are a bit archaic. It surprises me that organisations this large can be oblivious to QWL, or the preferences of Gen X and Y in the workplace. Create cold regimented work places at your own peril.
  • Nessá Pastoors | 25 Aug 2011, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    I spend over a quarter of life at my desk each day and if I didn't have personel effects it wouldn't feel like home and I'd have no connection to my workplace. Create rules for hot desks (makes sense) however give other employees the right to make their work space their home and they'll be far more engaged and productive.
Post a reply