Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Best practice tips for offering “go away” money

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Sep 2014, 11:32 AM Agree 0
There are situations in which employers have to weigh the cost of going to court against the cost of a settlement. HC looks at what to consider when offering a payment.
  • Michelle | 08 Sep 2014, 02:16 PM Agree 0
    I feel quite uncomfortable reading this article and feel it is quite inappropriate to reference a settlement reached between an employer & employer arising out of an employment dispute as 'go away money'. Court hearings cost both parties financially & otherwise - reaching an agreement to settle an employment dispute or any other legal case is encouraged by the court system.
  • Ken | 09 Sep 2014, 10:13 AM Agree 0
    Uncomfortable or not, it is a reality - and one which the uinsurance companies are happy to work towards as, in their eyes, 'go away money' is often a good commerical decision in the short term. The long-term, however, is idfferent in that it propagates more nuiscance /go-away-money cases and the premiums increase as well.

My advice, coming form a situation where we were 100% correct but still paid this out is either make sure your systems are in place and then fight each case. Once it becomes known that your company will not pay 'go away money' it is surprising how quickly they disappear....
Post a reply