Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Be a frontrunner in parental leave conditions

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 19 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The latest research has revealed that additional paid parental leave and flexible work conditions pays dividends for employers. Is it time to position your organisation as a market leader?
  • Not a Working Family | 19 Jun 2012, 03:40 PM Agree 0
    What is often not discussed (maybe it isn't PC) are the costs associated with these options. We recognise the cost of turnover on an organisation, but how is it different if someone goes on parental leave to resigning? We still need to hire and train a replacement. There is still the fall in productivity while the new employee comes up to speed and gets familiar with the organisation, plus you have a similar (though lessor) situation when an employee returns from 12 months leave and have to reaquaint themselves to the workplace and what has changed during their absence. We add this to the cost of paying the leave as well as their replacements salary, plus return to work payments and costs to the business of accomodating part time/flexible work schedules on return, and I think the equation would not be as positive as we all generally beleive. That's not even mentioning 'family/carers leave' impacts after the return of the employee!

I think a little more balanaced approach and open discussion on this topic in our industry is probably in order...without fear of being labelled as politically incorrect. Afterall, private businesses do exist to make a profit for thier owners/shareholders. I think the ROI on these types of incentives should be considered within that light.

If you haven't heard of 'singleism', it would pay to have quick read to understand some of the flipside views and implications.
Post a reply