Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Baby boomers the most disliked work colleagues: Survey

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 26 May 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Baby boomers are the most unpopular demographic in the workplace, according to the latest Leadership, Employment and Direction Survey.
  • Heidi Holmes | 26 May 2011, 06:06 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Alison Monroe's comments. While I am Gen Y myself I believe passionately in the benefits of having an age diverse workforce. I own and operate adage.com.au, Australia's leading job board for mature age workers which helps connect mature age jobseekers with age friendly employers. With the 45-54 age bracket being the fastest growing labour market segment in the next decade we can no longer ignore this valuable and experienced talent pool.
  • Paul Toulson | 27 May 2011, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    I would be interested in the contents of the actual survey and how it was analysed, before accepting the "findings" of these results
  • Lawrence Atkinson | 28 May 2011, 01:24 PM Agree 0
    Interesting survey, but I think they are way off the mark. I am 56, very tech savvy, prolific user of social media, as are many of my friends in my age group. In fact I usually end up having to explain how many techo things work to my Gen X and Y colleagues.
    I appreciate that many boomers can be set in their ways, but they also have a heap of experience that they can transfer, if only the X and Y'ers would realise that they still have much to learn.
  • Allan Rudner | 29 May 2011, 02:28 PM Agree 0
    For me, I think that we need to ask the right question of the findings; "What do they really tell us?" Whether they are accurate or not, the issue is more about how older people feel valuable. If they are not valued, they (as with anyone actually) will most likely go into fight or flight, thus digging in. My work in private practice and organizationally is to transition (men primarily) in their psyche through a journey of loss, grief, and new beginnings, to a place whether they are no longer competing with the younger worker but creating a role using their knowledge, experience, and wisdom to support and guide others on their journeys. This is not a linear path. I am not surprised at the findings when we bring outdated thinking to the table. Everyone needs to be seen and heard and have the opportunity to make a contribution.
  • Stephanie Rice | 31 May 2011, 09:39 PM Agree 0
    No, l do not agree with the findings. It is too smaller sample group as Alison states. Inflexible and non techno savvy workers (of any age) will not last in the workforce. We all have to adapt and take responsibility for our own learning. It is an individual choice hence we cannot rely on employers to constantly up-skill with the fast pace of technical advances and globalization. It takes maturity to survive and thrive in today's modern workplace and l believe Boomers are doing it with style and grace.
  • Kylee | 01 Jun 2011, 11:17 AM Agree 0
    I am not sure whether there is truth in the findings myself, but overall think there should more expereince in the workforce either old or young as not everything need s to be computerised what will happen if computers crash that's were we bring the hand written stuff back. As A Virtual Assistant we need to rely on computers, but I sometimes use the old method of hand writing for back-up.
  • Chris R | 02 Jun 2011, 04:09 AM Agree 0
    774 is hardly a large sample against 12 Million people over the age of 50.
Post a reply