Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Attention: Do you know what working mothers really want?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 Jan 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Do working mothers care more about having flexible hours after returning to work than spending more time at home while on leave? The answer may surprise you.
  • Kelly | 09 Jan 2013, 02:42 PM Agree 0
    It is also true for working Dad's. My husband is the primary care giver and flexible working hours are just as important to both of us.
  • Kirsty | 14 Jan 2013, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    I would like to add that we can extend this thinking to encompass all the working Dad's whose role in the home has changed and require flexibility as well. Secondly, this is not just about before school age. Many employee's struggle to balance the inadequate or absent care arrangements available for school age children and younger teenagers. Something has to change in the education sector as well to recognise and address the changed needs of the community has since the 9-3 school day of the 19th century was implemented. This is a community, education and social policy issue, not just an employer challenge.
  • Nick | 15 Jan 2013, 02:21 PM Agree 0
    Definitely agree that the deisre for flexibility applies to dads as well. I've been fortunate to arrange a 4 day working week so that I can have a 'daddy day' with my young kids.

There was some resistant at first, but 3 years on I've shown it works. Now my next challenge is to achieve career progression whilst maintaining this flexibility.
Post a reply